LL-L "Lexicon" 2009.11.09 (04) [EN]

Mon Nov 9 23:06:23 UTC 2009

L O W L A N D S - L - 09 November 2009- Volume 04

From: Hellinckx Luc <luc.hellinckx at gmail.com>
Subject: LL-L "Lexicon" 2009.11.09

Beste Ron,

You wrote:

Therefore, just for the sake of argument, I'd suggest that a suitable
alternative to "afterfollower" might be "aftergoer" or, in my opinion
better, "aftercomer." This would be symmetrical with "foregoer" and would
avoid the (seeming) redundancy. If you choose "aftercomer" in the sense of
'successor', then "aftergoer" could denote 'pursuer'.

In Brabantish (but probably also in other Dutch dialects), "aftercomer"
already exists in the form of "nakomer". It is used for a baby that was born
a long time after the second last baby was born: 'een nakommerke'

By the way, you also asked what the difference is between "achtervolgen" en
"vervolgen". Well, like I wrote earlier on, "achtervolgen" is more like "to
chase", whereas "vervolgen" originally just means "to continue". For
example: Every episode of a TV-series has "een vervolg", and   "wordt
vervolgd" completely equals "to be continued". Nowadays "vervolgen" can also
be used for "to persecute/prosecute", in a legal sense.

Extra: "het gevolg" usually means "the effect, outcome, consequence", but
also "the retinue".

Yes, yes, one thing always "follows" another...but that's way too simple for
us Southerners ;=)...depending on how you look at it (space, time, quality,
status...), we use different prefixes.

Kind greetings,

Luc Hellinckx, Halle, Belgium