LL-L "Etymology" 2009.11.17 (02) [EN]

Tue Nov 17 16:17:40 UTC 2009

L O W L A N D S - L - 17 November 2009 - Volume 02

From: heatherrendall at tiscali.co.uk <heatherrendall at tiscali.co.uk>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2009.11.16 (03) [DE-EN]

from Heather Rendall heatherrendall at tiscali.co.uk

re the discussion about Nachmahd / Nahmadd
In English we have 'Aftermath' with the same meaning = ' a second cutting of
grass' . However I doubt whether the majority of English speakers know this
original meaning; rather they use it to descriobe the results of any action.
e.g. " In the aftermath of 7/11 security was tightened throughout the
county."

My question is: why do you have ' Nach-' and not 'Efter- when both English
and Lowland languages seem to have retained the '-math' bit.

[One of the things I like about this forum is it makes you look up word
origins you have never thought about. I have just looked up 'after' and
discovered that it has as relatives  O Fris efter  OS / OHG aftar  Du
achter  Gothic aftra etc etc back to PIE.]

So next question is - where does 'nach' come from?  And when?
best wishes
Heather
Worcester UK