LL-L "History" 2009.11.23 (05) [EN]

Tue Nov 24 05:24:45 UTC 2009

L O W L A N D S - L - 23 November 2009 - Volume 05

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
 Subject: History

Dear Lowlanders,

American Thanksgiving being almost upon us (on Thursday this week), I would
like to draw your attention to a ten-part high quality video series offered
online by the Public Broadcasting Service (PBS), undoubtedly the best
broadcasting outfit in the United States:

*American Experience: We Shall Remain
*http://video.pbs.org/video/1097935833

It is about the initial period of contacts between New England's Indigenous
people and early English colonists, most of it presented from an Indigenous
point of view ("the other side of Thanksgiving," so to speak).

There is a fair bit of written and recorded background and behind-the-scenes
information as well, as well as information about the ethnic groups involved
and their descendants' lives in our time.

Apparently a good deal of research went into authentic representations.
Impressive is the effort to have all Indigenous characters (played by
Indigenous persons from various communities) speak apparently reconstructed
Nipmuc, the native Algonquian language of Worcester County, Massachusetts,
closest relative of Massachusett, Mohegan-Pequot and
Quiripi-Naugatuck-Unquachog.

Enjoy, and happy Thanksgiving!

Reinhard/Ron
Seattle, USA

P.S.: Olaf Bordasch, a former LL-L member, informed me regarding Altona that
the Danish King was also the Duke of Holstein (including Altona), a separate
entity. Technically speaking, Holstein were therefore not part of Denmark.