LL-L "Holidays" 2009.11.28 (05) [EN]

Sun Nov 29 04:28:03 UTC 2009

L O W L A N D S - L - 28 November 2009 - Volume 05

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
 Subject: Holidays

Dear Lowlanders,

This is the time of the international calendar year when holidays of Judaism
and its offshoots Christianity, Islam and the Bahai'i Faith tend to come
bundled together.

My greetings go to our Muslim Lowlanders on Eid al-Adha (*‘Īdu l-’Aḍḥā *عيد
الأضحى, today)! This is the day on which Muslims commemorate the utmost
devotion to and trust in God in the willingness of Abraham (Arabic ابراهيم
Ibrāhīm, Hebrew אַבְרָהָם Avrāhām) to sacrifice his son Isaac (Arabic إسحٰق‎
or إسحاق ʾIsḥāq, Hebrew יִצְחָק Yiṣḥāq).

I send greetings and best wishes to our Bahai'i friends on the Ascension of
Abdul-Baha (عبد البهاء‎) celebrated today.

My best wishes go out to our Christian Lowlanders on the beginning of the
Advent season this Sunday. As our Hanne indicated, this is a very festive
season among Christians of Northern Germany in particular. It is the time
when Christians "count down" to the coming of their Messiah, Jesus (Ἰησοῦς *
I**ēsoṹs*, יֵשׁוּעַ Yēšūa‘, יְהוֹשֻׁעַ Yĕhšūă*‘*,  יֵשׁוּ Yēshū) the
Nazarene.

And here, well in advance (for December 12-19) but no less heartfelt, are my
greetings to our Jewish Lowlanders on Hanukka (חֲנֻכָּה Ḥănukkāh), the
Festival of Light, Rededication and Judaism's Miraculous Endurance in the
face of utmost adversity (at the end of the Maccabean Revolt in the 2nd
century BCE).

To all of you and to followers of all other religions or no religion amongst
us I hold up a candle of respect and friendship in this time of low light in
the Northern Hemisphere (not excluding our dear friends in the Southern
Hemisphere). May you and all of your loved ones be safe, loved and in every
other way fulfilled in this season and beyond!

Seattle, USA