LL-L "Etymology" 2009.11.29 (03) [EN]

Mon Nov 30 02:51:47 UTC 2009

L O W L A N D S - L - 28 November 2009 - Volume 03

From: Jacqueline Bungenberg de Jong <Dutchmatters at comcast.net>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2009.11.29 (02) [EN]

Helllo Jonny, Heather and Ron

Re the provenance of the word “Kirche”, “Kerk” ,”Church” etc. What an
interesting story. Let me throw some more oil on the fire. I seem to
remember from history lessons from long ago that at least some of the church
dignitaries accompanying the Romans when they made their voyage of discovery
to the North West were pontiffs of the Armenian Christian Church.  I do not
know whether they would use the word “kiriko” or a derivative thereof.

Jacqueline

Seattle