LL-L "Traditions" 2009.10.12 (02) [EN]

Mon Oct 12 20:19:29 UTC 2009

L O W L A N D S - L - 12 October 2009 - Volume 02
lowlands at lowlands-l.net - http://lowlands-l.net/

From: heatherrendall at tiscali.co.uk <heatherrendall at tiscali.co.uk>
Subject: LL-L "Traditions" 2009.10.11 (02) [DE-EN-NL]

from Heather Rendall  heatherrendall at tiscali.co.uk
All this talk of Hallowe'en brought a song and a tune to mind that we learnt
in primary school. I wasn't sure of all the words so I googled the first
line and Lo and Behold ! I learnt that the poem had been written by Robert
Herrick temp Eliz 1 and James 1
I have pasted it below in its original renaissance English. I would love to
post the tune as well as it is really brilliant - very effects-full and
screechy!
Here in England Hallowe'en meant to me in Sussex pumpkins with candles,
apple bobbing and telling one's fortune. Best of all were the stories told
in the dark accompanied by objects passed round by the storyteller e.g. a
peeled grape = the eye of a witch; a piece of thin twig - a finger bone ;
some broken jelly = mashed brains etc etc

Robert Herrick (1591-1674)
                    The Hag.
             THe Hag is astride,
              This night for to ride;
    The Devill and shee together:
              Through thick, and through thin,
              Now out, and then in,
    Though ne'r so foule be the weather.
    2.       A Thorn or a Burr
              She takes for a Spurre:
    With a lash of a Bramble she rides now,
              Through Brakes and through Bryars,
              O're Ditches, and Mires,
    She followes the Spirit that guides now.
    3.       No Beast, for his food,
              Dares now range the wood;
    But husht in his laire he lies lurking:
              While mischeifs, by these,