LL-L "Language varieties" 2009.10.15 (01) [EN]

Thu Oct 15 15:00:18 UTC 2009

L O W L A N D S - L - 15 October 2009 - Volume 01
lowlands at lowlands-l.net - http://lowlands-l.net/

From: Brooks, Mark <mark.brooks at twc.state.tx.us>
Subject: LL-L "Language varieties" 2009.10.14 (04) [EN]

Ron:

I think we could say then that generally languages in contact tend to
simplify.  However, clearly something else operates as well.  It just
doesn’t seem satisfying to me to say that each language presents its own
case, and that we don’t know from one situation to the next which course it
will take.  I would prefer to believe that although we may not know at
present, we have some good ideas.

So, my ideas go like this: 1) language contact in itself can cause
simplification, 2) power or prestige inequality can influence which language
simplifies, but 3) neither of those alone or together can completely explain
all situations.  What else might operate in these cases?

Mark Brooks