LL-L "Language varieties" 2009.10.15 (02) [EN]

Thu Oct 15 17:29:34 UTC 2009

L O W L A N D S - L - 15 October 2009 - Volume 02
lowlands at lowlands-l.net - http://lowlands-l.net/

From: Brooks, Mark <mark.brooks at twc.state.tx.us>
Subject: LL-L "Language varieties" 2009.10.15 (01) [EN]

Roger wrote: “Couldn't we not just add:
- ordinary dialectal diversification after settlement,
- followed by a standardization 100 to 500 yrs later, leading to "solving
developped differences" by "simplification"?”

Thanks, Roger, I hadn’t thought of dialects as an explanation for “internal”
simplification.  I puzzled with the fact that languages (e.g., Old Norse,
Old English) seem to undergo simplification on their own.  So, it seems to
work like creolization, but on a smaller scale within a language.  I don’t
know the name for that process, if it has a name.

You can see that I really enjoy this topic.  One of my most enjoyable
classes in college had the title “Black English.”  However, it dealt
extensively with creolization in general, not just with what happened to the
language of slaves in the American South.

Regards,
Mark Brooks

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Language varieties

Mark,

This ought to be a topic of interest to *any*one that deals with language
development, "language" standing for *any* language variety, including
dialects and so forth. Language contacts cannot be ignored.

Here some relevant sources:

http://www.une.edu.au/langnet/index.html
http://www.hevanet.com/alexwest/pidgin.html
http://humanities.uchicago.edu/faculty/mufwene/pidginCreoleLanguage.html