LL-L "Language varieties" 2009.10.20 (03) [EN]

Wed Oct 21 02:06:56 UTC 2009

L O W L A N D S - L - 20 October 2009 - Volume 03
lowlands at lowlands-l.net - http://lowlands-l.net/

From: Paul Finlow-Bates <wolf_thunder51 at yahoo.co.uk>
Subject: LL-L "Language varieties" 2009.10.20 (01) [EN]

From: R. F. Hahn
<sassisch at yahoo.com<http://uk.mc264.mail.yahoo.com/mc/compose?to=sassisch@yahoo.com>

Subject: Language varieties

Paul, I think the drift you are talking about is precisely what you are
dealing with in the case of Polynesian. So I encourage you to spend some
time familiarizing yourself with this case.

Examples: woman/female, man/male, gardenia, canoe, parent, gray-haired,
mullet
Tongan: fafine, taŋata, siale, vaka, matu'a, hina, kanahe
Samoan: fafine, taŋata, tiale, va'a, matua, sina, 'anae
Niuean: fifine, taŋata, tiale, vaka, matua, hina, kanahe
Rapa Nui*: hahine, taŋata, tiare, vaka, matu'a, hina, -
Tahitian: vahine, ta'ata, tiare, va'a, metua, hinahina, 'anae
Rarotongan: vaʻine, taŋata, tiare, vaka, matua ~ metua, 'ina, kanae
Maori: wahine, taŋata, tīare, vaka, matua, hina, kanae
Hawaiian**: wahine, kanaka, kiele, wa'a, makua, hina, 'anae
Proto-Polynesian: *fafine, *taŋata, *tiale, *waka, *matu'a, *sina, *kanahe

* Easter Island
** Hawaiian *w* is actuall [Ê‹], the same sound as represented by *w* in
Dutch.

And there are many more language varieties to cite in exhaustive
comparisons.

Seattle, USA

Many thanks for those Ron.  I learned a little Maori as kid in New Zealand,
and it was interesting to spot some of those comparisons when I visited
Hawaii nearly 20 years later.  In particular, Tohunga/Kahuna!

Paul
Derby
England

---------