LL-L "Etymology" 2009.10.25 (01) [EN]

Sun Oct 25 14:25:02 UTC 2009

L O W L A N D S - L - 25 October 2009 - Volume 01
lowlands at lowlands-l.net - http://lowlands-l.net/

From: Hannelore Hinz  HanneHinz at t-online.de
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2009.10.24 (01) [EN]

Good morning dear friends!

Please, to look up:

http://www.verwandt.de/forum/post15414.html

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vorlage:Stammbaum

Good luck!

Kind regards,

Hanne
Schwerin Germany

----------

From: Jonny <jonny.meibohm at arcor.de>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2009.10.23 (01) [EN]

 Reinhard wrote:

The word is "doit", sometimes spelled "doyt" in Scots.

It has two basic meanings:

(1) very small, insignificant article, piece or part
(2) coin with lowest possible value

Apparently the second meaning came first. It was a Dutch coin of extremely
little value, half a farthing (or an eighth of a *stuiver*) that was
official currency in Dutch-speaking areas and in some other areas along the
Lower Rhine. In Modern Dutch it is spelled *duit*, in Middle Dutch *duyt,
deuyt, doyt, deyt*. With the same meaning it is also know in German and is
spelled *Deut* there (and has the same pronunciation as does Scots *doit*).
I have never come across it in Low Saxon of Germany and would expect it to
be **Düüt* (Dutch spelling **duut*) if it existed. So far I have not been
able to find it in Middle Saxon either.

Very interesting!
In Eastern Prussian Low Saxon we find *"Dittke"* in exactly the same
meanings - probably an heritage of the Western settlers (Dutch, Flemish,
Rhine area, Westphalia).

 Something to speculate:
In the special dialect of the Wurster Low Saxon (a strongly Frisian
influenced variety, still spoken near Bremerhaven) "Doik’r!" is used as an
exclamation, as a swear and means "devil!" (Teufel!). This could be a
related word to avoid calling "his" name.
Just worth a *dittke*....

Allerbest!

Jonny Meibohm
Lower Saxony, Germany