LL-L "Etymology" 2009.10.24 (01) [EN]

Sat Oct 24 21:33:37 UTC 2009

L O W L A N D S - L - 24 October 2009 - Volume 01
lowlands at lowlands-l.net - http://lowlands-l.net/

From: Jacqueline Bungenberg de Jong <Dutchmatters at comcast.net>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2009.10.23 (02) [EN]

Hi Ron, interesting these family relations. Modern Dutch has neef and nicht
for what in modern English would be called the cousins. But also uses it for
the children of my brother and sister, nieces and nephews in English. But
then, these are also called “oomzeggers”. I have never heard “tantezeggers”,
maybe the word does not exist. The brother of my *husband *is my “zwager”
and that word is a leftover from the time when if my husband died in war,
this would be the guy who’d marry me and would take care of my children – I
don’t know what happened if he had a wife already and I don’t want to
quibble. And lastly there is in Dutch the word “snoes”, which nowadays means
pretty girl, but in olden times was daughter in law. Interesting to see what
kind of words man takes time to invent if he needs them.

Jacqueline BdJ

Seattle USA
----------

From: Roger Thijs, Euro-Support, Inc. <roger.thijs at euro-support.be>
Subject: Etymology

I'm doing a project in the Walloon part of this country.
One of the collegues has "Tahir" as surname and I asked him whether this
name had a Walloon orgin. He didn't know, but he rather thought it sounded
Arabic.

I checked in "Herbillon, Noms de famille". Herbillon links it to the village
of *Tahier *(Evelette) in the province of Namur. The name is recorded since
1565 as surname.

As for the Etymology of the name of the village Carnoy gives "**tha-ariae*"
including the old-Germanic "*thâhô*" (clay, Dutch: klei, German: Ton, Lehm,
North-Gerrman: Klei; in Dutch "leem" is rather used for the mixture one used
for covering wall structures of old houses.)

Question: *Are threre still variants of thâhô in some Germanic languages?*

BTW etymology as to Carnoy of some other names referred to above:

*Evelette*: little eve
Eve: Avia (970), from the Germanic* *a(h)-jô:* humid prairie

*Namur:* Namucum (7th c), celtic *nam+uco* nam/nem = bend, river bend,
valley
Question remains for Carnoy how the r-parisite entered into the name.
A parasite-r entered also in the Celtic Nemausos -> Nemours in France

Regards,
Roger