LL-L "Gender" 2009.10.28 (02) [EN]

Thu Oct 29 00:13:02 UTC 2009

L O W L A N D S - L - 28 October 2009 - Volume 02
lowlands at lowlands-l.net - http://lowlands-l.net/

From: Stan Levinson <stlev99 at yahoo.com>
 Subject: LL-L "Gender" 2009.10.28 (01) [EN]

*I'll stick my neck out there with David Cowley.   The thing that makes this
a serious discussion is the question at the end: are "he" and "she" sexist
words (as opposed to sex/gender words)?  How about languages that don't
distinguish gender in third person (e.g. most East Asian languages that I
know anything about)?  Are those societies less sexist?  How about languages
that insist on gender differentiation in second and third person, singular
and plural?  Are they more sexist?
I suppose the origins of these distinctions lie in societal "needs", but now
they "just are".
Stan

*