LL-L "Lexicon" 2009.10.30 (01) [EN]

Fri Oct 30 19:02:01 UTC 2009

L O W L A N D S - L - 30 October 2009 - Volume 01
lowlands at lowlands-l.net - http://lowlands-l.net/

From: Mark Dreyer <mrdreyer at lantic.net>
Subject: LL-L "Lexicon" 2009.10.29 (01) [EN]

 Dear David,

Subject: LL-L "Lexicon"

Re: How We'd Talk if the English had WON in 1066 - Some info. on this new

book was sent out a few weeks ago ...

>From one who was nurtured in a tongue unblessed with a Norman-French
heirarchy along the way, this subject tickles me. Let me show a few words in
Afrikaans

Firstly, some that leap out as saying what they mean:

1. Afterfollower, meaning successor. Afrikaans has 'Opvolger' in this case,
& for something more formal 'erfgenaam' = heir. Look up 'eorfgenome' in your
Sweet.
2. Bookly, meaning  literary. (Can't we in ME also use the word 'bookish'
here?). Afrikaans has geletterde, or ongeletterde for literate or the other.
3. Workful, meaning active, industrious. Afrikaans - 'werksaam'.
4. Wordhoard, meaning  vocabulary. I've read this word in use in suitable
context in ME. Well, O.K. so it was C. S. Lewis... Afrikaans - 'woordlys'.
5. Forebusy, meaning preoccupy. Afrikaans - 'bebesig'. ‘Forebusied with a
seekness’ means ‘preoccupied with an enquiry’.  Afrikaans - 'bebesig met 'n
ondersoek'.
6. Outgang, meaning   departure, exit. Afrikaans - 'uitgang'.
7. Wayleet, meaning  junction. Well, O.K. Afrikaans 'aansluiting'.
8. Frith, meaning  peace. Afrikaans 'vrede'. A frith middliand is a peace
mediator. Afrikaans - 'vredebemiddelaar'.
9. Onwield meaning authority. Afrikaans  - 'gesag'. Derby se Plaaslike
Gesag'.
10. Ore, meaning honour, respect, favour. Afrikaans 'Eer'. 'Eerewaardigheid'
= respectability', 'oneerlik' = dishonourable.

Yrs,
Mark.