LL-L "Names" 2009.09.03 (03) [EN]

Thu Sep 3 17:36:35 UTC 2009

=========================================== L O W L A N D S - L - 03
September 2009 - Volume 03
lowlands at lowlands-l.net - http://lowlands-l.net/
From: Hellinckx Luc <luc.hellinckx at gmail.com>
Subject: LL-L "Names"
Beste Heather,
 You wrote:

 Would you believe that we are also trying to locate  Flemyngs Wood and
Flemyngs Heath which we think lay very close to the 'Ridge'. Could our
'Richelhide' indicate we had a pocket of strong Flemish influence????
 We know that a familys called Flemyng lived in the area; they appear on
various Lay Subsidy Rolls. And Worcester was of course very involved in the
wool / cloth trade.
  We just don't know exactly where they lived: but the wood and heath are
definitely in Wichenford ( where I live) so no reason not to think that a
family called Flemying lived here c 1270 - 1350.

Along the Belgian coast, there's a number of places that seem to share the
"hide" of "Richel-hide" in their names: Koksijde, Raversijde, Lombardsijde.
"Hide" would be a hypercorrection of "ie, ee" = "water". Same root is
visible in "Chelsea".

 "Koksijde" is one of the only two examples that I know, where Dutch "ij" is
pronounced "ie" in Brabantish, just like in Western Flemish: "Kokside". I
guess this is due to French pronunciation that was copied. The other example
is "biterkes", for "bijterkes", nanny speech for "teeth".
 Kind greetings,

Luc Hellinckx, Halle, Belgium