LL-L "Etymology" 2009.09.04 (01) [EN]

Fri Sep 4 14:49:38 UTC 2009

L O W L A N D S - L - 04 September 2009 - Volume 01
lowlands at lowlands-l.net - http://lowlands-l.net/

From: Jonny <jonny.meibohm at arcor.de>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology"

Dear Lowlanners,

(in special our western friends of the ingvaeonic community).

Today I learned the Dutch word "strandjutter" , which I found translated as
DE "Strandräuber", which would be E "wrecker".

Two questions came up to me:

1. Do you think this to be a good translation? I assume today it should no
longer mean any kind of "robbery" but just collecting goods which the sea
washes ashore. In German and LS we use to say "stranden".

2. I wonder about the etymological background of the "jutter"-part in the
word. I guess it to be of Frisian origin, because I can't find any German,
Low Saxon or English relation.

Or could it be cognate with E "jitter" in the sense of 'to run up and down
(the strand, looking for any goods of value)". This exactly would describe
the above mentioned German/LS "stranden" - you have to be the first, and you
have to be fast! In LS we use "Jitte" for a
E "ewe", because (IMHO) they are so 'jittery' (nervous), which is in LS
"jitterig".
Just worth two cents, this theory...;-)!

Allerbest, and thanks in award for your answers!

Jonny Meibohm