LL-L "Etymology" 2009.09.04 (05) [EN-NDS]

Fri Sep 4 23:43:51 UTC 2009

=========================================== L O W L A N D S - L - 04
September 2009 - Volume 05
lowlands at lowlands-l.net - http://lowlands-l.net/

From: Marcus Buck <list at marcusbuck.org>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2009.09.04 (01) [EN]

From: Jonny <jonny.meibohm at arcor.de
<mailto:jonny.meibohm at arcor.de<jonny.meibohm at arcor.de>

Subject: LL-L "Etymology"

Dear Lowlanners,
 (in special our western friends of the ingvaeonic community).
 Today I learned the Dutch word "strandjutter" , which I found translated as
DE "Strandräuber", which would be E "wrecker".
 Two questions came up to me:
 1. Do you think this to be a good translation? I assume today it should no
longer mean any kind of "robbery" but just collecting goods which the sea
washes ashore. In German and LS we use to say "stranden".
 2. I wonder about the etymological background of the "jutter"-part in the
word. I guess it to be of Frisian origin, because I can't find any German,
Low Saxon or English relation.
 Or could it be cognate with E "jitter" in the sense of 'to run up and down
(the strand, looking for any goods of value)". This exactly would describe
the above mentioned German/LS "stranden" - you have to be the first, and you
have to be fast! In LS we use "Jitte" for a
E "ewe", because (IMHO) they are so 'jittery' (nervous), which is in LS
"jitterig".
Just worth two cents, this theory...;-)!
  Allerbest, and thanks in award for your answers!
 Jonny Meibohm

According to the "Nederlands etymologisch woordenboek" by Jan De Vries it's
derived from the Jutes of Denmark who were notoriously known for plundering
stranded ships. At least that's how I interpreted the passages that can be
seen in Google Books. The full page is not visible. A bit of the text can be
seen here: <
http://books.google.de/books?oe=utf-8&client=firefox-a&um=1&lr=&q=jutten+nederlands
>.

Marcus Buck

------------

From: victorie.a <victorie.a at home.nl> Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2009.09.04
(01) [EN]

Moi Jonny,

’t Woord jutten van strandjutten is nog niet zo old (1912) kan een bijvörm
weden van jatten, wat weer Bargoens is veur stelen (1906) of-eleid van jad <
hebreeuws  âdh “hand”.

Goodgaon,
Arend Victorie
 ----------

From: Kevin Caldwell <
kevin.caldwell1963 at verizon.net>

I think a better English translation might be "beachcomber."  I've never
heard "wrecker" used in this way (although a check of the dictionary shows
that "wrecker" can mean "plunderer" as well as "someone who salvages
cargo").
Kevin Caldwell
Laurel, MD, USA

----------

From:
heatherrendall at tiscali.co.uk <heatherrendall at tiscali.co.uk>

from Heather Rendall
heatherrendall at tiscali.co.uk
 Jonny wrote: Today I learned the Dutch word "strandjutter" , which I found
translated as DE "Strandräuber", which would be E "wrecker".

 I think, Jonny, a better translation of 'Strandräuber' would be
'beachcomber' i.e. someone wandering along the beach combing it (searching
closely) for jettsam.

 A wrecker was someone who deliberately enticed ships onto rocks by lighting
a fire on cliffs to simulate a lighthouse warning where none was needed. The
ships would change course and be driven onto rocks.

 There were also wreckers who were in league with ships' captains. If
weather was bad, the captain would pretend to 'abandon ship' and put
passengers into lifeboats and then throw their luggage ( trunks etc)
overboard, in the hope that the lifeboat and passengers would not make it to
shore but the luggage would eventually be beached. The wreckers were on hand
to scavenge what they could from the shore and divided the profits with the
captain! I know about this because in a family diary c 1850 this happened to
members of the family emigrating to America. They survived and managed to
'find' with help of coastguards about half of their trunks containing
furniture, silver, paintings etc. This happened off the coast of Ireland!

 Interestingly re jitter, the OED has it as 20th C American and so it has no
roots in English. So perhaps German immigrants to 'Jitte' / jitterig' to the
States.

 best wishes
Heather