LL-L "Etymology" 2009.09.06 (01) [EN]

Sun Sep 6 17:51:09 UTC 2009

L O W L A N D S - L - 06 September 2009 - Volume 01
lowlands at lowlands-l.net - http://lowlands-l.net/

From: Jonny <jonny.meibohm at arcor.de>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2009.09.04 (05) [EN-NDS]

 Ladies and Gentlemen,
thanks for your answers according "strandjutter".

Heather and Kevin: yes, I agree; "beachcomber" should be the better
translation, and if you go from this word into an English-German dictionary
you'll find "Strandgut-Sammler" in German.
BTW, Heather - it's interesting that the word "jitter" probably came from
(German?) Low Saxon immigrants into American English. Additionally I should
mention that - according to Google-results - in LS "jiddelig" perhaps is
more used and better known than "jitterig".

Marcus, if you'd done just one more click you'd probably have found the
whole text here:
http://books.google.de/books?id=9_X44k9-3j8C&pg=PA290&dq=jutten+nederlands&lr=&client=firefox-a#v=onepage&q=&f=false

And then you'd perhaps have come to the same result as Arend, who favours a
variant of "jatten".

Jacqueline, your version is very interesting, too! Regards and thanks to
your schoonzuster! (BTW: are you still able to pronounce that marvellous
rolling "r" which my friend Piet Bult from Stellingwarfs/NL demonstrated me
last night at the phone? "Strandjutterrrrrrrrr..."! Completely impossible
for an average German tongue to create a trill like this. I'll call him
"Pietrrrrr...." in future ;-)!)

Allerbest!

Jonny Meibohm
Lower Saxony, Germany