LL-L "Etymology" 2009.09.06 (05) [EN]

Sun Sep 6 21:35:24 UTC 2009

L O W L A N D S - L - 04 September 2009 - Volume 05
lowlands at lowlands-l.net - http://lowlands-l.net/

From: Marcus Buck <list at marcusbuck.org>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2009.09.06 (01) [EN]

From: Jonny <jonny.meibohm at arcor.de <mailto:jonny.meibohm at arcor.de >>

> Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2009.09.04 (05) [EN-NDS]
>
> Ladies and Gentlemen,
> thanks for your answers according "strandjutter".
>  Heather and Kevin: yes, I agree; "beachcomber" should be the better
> translation, and if you go from this word into an English-German dictionary
> you'll find "Strandgut-Sammler" in German.
> BTW, Heather - it's interesting that the word "jitter" probably came from
> (German?) Low Saxon immigrants into American English. Additionally I should
> mention that - according to Google-results - in LS "jiddelig" perhaps is
> more used and better known than "jitterig".  Marcus, if you'd done just one
> more click you'd probably have found the whole text here:
>
> http://books.google.de/books?id=9_X44k9-3j8C&pg=PA290&dq=jutten+nederlands&lr=&client=firefox-a#v=onepage&q=&f=false<
> http://books.google.de/books?id=9_X44k9-3j8C&pg=PA290&dq=jutten+nederlands&lr=&client=firefox-a#v=onepage&q=&f=false
> >
>  And then you'd perhaps have come to the same result as Arend, who favours
> a variant of "jatten".

At my computer there's only a limited preview notice telling me that I
cannot view the full page. I had no idea, that Google's limited preview is
selective. Does anybody know which variables are involved in determining
which pages I can see and which not?
And what's the page saying? I guess it's something along the lines of "the
etymology proposed by X suggesting a connection with the Jutes of Denmark is
utter nonsense", is it?

Marcus Buck