LL-L "Projects" 2009.09.13 (03) [EN]

Sun Sep 13 17:56:44 UTC 2009

L O W L A N D S - L - 13 September 2009 - Volume 03
lowlands at lowlands-l.net - http://lowlands-l.net/

From: Mike Morgan <mwmosaka at gmail.com>
Subject: LL-L "Holidays" 2009.09.13 (01) [EN]

> From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
> And here's a request from me. Please see if you can rustle up Horn of
Africa
> translations and sound files for the Wren project (Amharic, Tigrinya,
Tigre,
> Oromo, ...).

Ok, will do my best.

And, as I may have mentioned I have a video file of the Wren in Indian
Sign Language (ISL), partially subtitled. When I get the chance to
finish the subtitling, and figuring out how else to make it more
accessible, I will get that to you. (Depending on what exactly they
have me teaching this first semester -- classes start in 2 weeks and I
haven't been told specifically yet -- I may use that story with one or
more of my classes, so that would speed up the work greatly: 一石二鳥)

When I get comfortable with Ethiopian Sign Language (yEMQ) I will try
to do the same for that. As for the spoken HoA languages, I will work
on getting versions of them as well. Unlike in Mumbai, I won't be
working 100% with Deaf, so I am likely to have native-speaker
colleagues of several of the languages. (The coordinator of the
programme I am affiliated with is an Amharic native speaker, but also
speaks (some) Somali, Tigrinya and Oromo, in addition to yEMQ.
However, since he MAY soon be my PhD half-advisee as well as my
"boss", asking him might be a delicate operation ... esp. in light of
the recent firing of faculty at Hokkaido Univeristy of Education for
"harrassing" students by making them help work on/with Ainu.)

mike || U C > || мика  || माईक || マイク || ሚካኤል
          (( Michael W Morgan, PhD ))
     Assistant Professor in Linguistics
Ethiopian Sign Language & Deaf Studies Program
      Addis Ababa University (Ethiopia)
Yo afaan wali galle malee, diina keenya il en manque.