LL-L "Etymology" 2009.09.16 (01) [EN-NL]

Wed Sep 16 17:42:00 UTC 2009

L O W L A N D S - L - 16 September 2009 - Volume 01
lowlands at lowlands-l.net - http://lowlands-l.net/

From: bsu295 at bangor.ac.uk
Subject: LL-L "Tradition" 2009.09.15 (01) [EN]

Hello there,

in the Lanky (Lancastrian Dialect) we use the word BOGGART to mean a ghost
(sometimes a monster, but usually a ghost). And it is well established in
place names around the county, I also presume it used in other northern
Dialects and perhaps some southern scots dialects.

Gregg *[Ashcroft]*

----------

From: Diederik Masure <didimasure at hotmail.com>

Ron/John:
 this *ganfer *corresponds probably to modern norwegian *gjenferd*,
*gjen *being
"again" and *ferd *"trip, traveling" derrived from the verb *fara *"to go",
so "that which goes around again".
 Dictionary explanation: ghost, shape/apearance of a dead which appears

It is basically the same compound
Nynorsk *attergangar*, Bokmål *gjenganger*, from *atter/gjen *"again" and
the old-fashioned verb *ganga *"to go" (-ar/-er derriving the nomina agentis
as in English to sing - a singer)

>From Low Saxon they have *spøk(j)else*, basically same meaning,
 from the verb *å skrømte *"to be haunted/to haunt (?)" is derrived *skrømt*,
meaning both "illusion" and "ghost" in the same meaning of the above
mentioned exemples

And from *daud/død *"dead" derrived Nynorsk *dauding*, Bokmål
*dauding/*d*ødning.
*
**
They are all listed as synonyms in the dictionary, so I don't know if there
would be slight differences in meaning, or regional differences, but they
all seem to mean "dead person who comes back".

Greets,
Diederik (curretly Bergen, Norway)

----------

From: Andy Eagle <andy at scots-online.org>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2009.09.14 (01) [EN-NDS]

Ron/Reinhard wrote:

 Would you agree with my hunch that Latvian bērn- is a

Scandinavian loan? I assume that Scots bairn 'child' is a Scandinavian loan,
too.

The survival of bairn in Scotland (and Northumbria) may be a case of Old
English bearn and Scandinavian barn reinforcing each other.

Heather wrote:

 Where does the other Scots word for child " wain" ( not sure about spelling

because I've only ever heard it) come from?
My son-in-law uses 'wain' all the time but 'bairn' never - as does Billy
Connelly.

The usual spelling is 'wean' from a contraction of 'wee ane' = little one.
Wean has apparently replaced bairn in the West of Scotland.

Andy

----------

From: burgdal32admin <burgdal32 at telenet.be>
 Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2009.09.14 (04) [EN]

Dag allemaal,
In Dutch: 'wreed' = cruel
In Western Flemish:
'wreed' = strong big rude   'wreed eten' = a strong meal, difficult to
digest - 'wreed land' = land that needs hard labour
'wroed' (vroed /veroed )= angry

Groetjes,
Luc Vanbrabant
Oekene

From: tighe <tighe at sympatico.ca>

 From: heatherrendall at tiscali.co.uk <heatherrendall at tiscali.co.uk>

Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2009.09.13 (04) [EN]

 Where does the other Scots word for child " wain" ( not sure about spelling
because I've only ever heard it) come from?
My son-in-law uses 'wain' all the time but 'bairn' never - as does Billy

Hi Fowk:

Could weans be childer that have been have weaned?

"Wean [West, Ulster rhymes with 'rain']" from Chambers

Gerald Tighe

----------

From: Roland Desnerck <desnerck.roland at skynet.be>

Beste Ron en jullie allen,

You wrote
The Latvian word for child...

In nagenoeg geheel West-Vlaanderen kennen we het woord "bing" voor kind of
knaap en zelfs voor kameraad.
Dit doet natuurlijk denken aan de Germaanse woorden barn, bern, born,
enz. (de Deense doorboorde ö staat niet op mijn klavier!)  ...
De oorsprong is vermoedelijk toch "baar", "baren" met de oudste betekenis:
dragen. Vergelijk: draagbaar, draagberrie.
Een kind dragen en ter wereld brengen is: baren.
.Dit nog: in West-Vlaanderen komt "bing" nog het meest voor in het Ieperse.

 .Toetnoasteki,
Roland Desnerck
Watergangstraat 9
8420 De Haan (bij Oostende)
West-Vlaanderen.

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
 Subject: Etymology

Interesting, Roland.

I wonder if *bing* might come from French *copain* (> *(co)pain* < *bing*).

Seattle, USA