LL-L "Etymology" 2009.09.16 (03) [EN]

Wed Sep 16 18:36:41 UTC 2009

L O W L A N D S - L - 16 September 2009 - Volume 03
lowlands at lowlands-l.net - http://lowlands-l.net/

From: Danette Howland <dan_how at msn.com>
Subject: etymology of "angle"

I have a question regarding the origin of the root word for Anglia, England,
Angul, etc.,. Folk etymologies linking it to "angle" for the shape of the
land or from the idea of a narrow place seem unsatisfactory as the name of
such a powerful tribe. Someone has recently suggested that this name is
related to Ing/Yng and Ingvaeones. More satisfactory, but does it make sense
for an early frontal vowel to migrate to such a broad position? It seems to
go the other way, with many people in England pronouncing it as "Ingland."

Sorry if this has already been covered. I know about vowel shifts but am not
a trained linguist. I am also interested to know if there are any
connections with this word to the place-name "Angria." Thanks for your help.

John Howland