LL-L "Traditions" 2009.09.16 (05) [DE-EN]

Wed Sep 16 20:55:30 UTC 2009

L O W L A N D S - L - 16 September 2009 - Volume 05
lowlands at lowlands-l.net - http://lowlands-l.net/

From: heatherrendall at tiscali.co.uk <heatherrendall at tiscali.co.uk>
Subject: LL-L "Projects" 2009.09.16 (02) [DE-EN-NDS]

*from Heather Rendall   heatherrendall at tiscali.co.uk*
**
*Hannelore wrote:  Der Jördensberg im Krakower See*
**
Einst wollte der Riese Jörn einen Damm durch den Krakower See schütten und
schleppte zu diesem Zweck große Mengen Sand in seiner Schürze heran. Als er
sich dann ans Werk machen wollte, zerriß die Schürze, und der Sand fiel in
den See. Davon entstand ein Hügel, der als Halbinsel weit in den See
vorsprang. Infolge dieses Mißgeschicks verging dem Riesen die Lust an seinem
Vorhaben. Er stieß voller Ärger seinen Besen mit dem Stiel so tief in die
Erde, daß er als Baum dort anwuchs, und stampfte brummend davon.
Der Hügel wurde der Jördensberg genannt."

How strange that giants all over Europe wear aprons! Even stranger that they
constantly carry large amounts of soil/ stone/ sand in them in order to bury
a town/ build a dam or whatever. And how strange that they should all dump
their loads and thereby explain away some inexplicable man made or
natural creation in the countryside!

The story goes about Silbury Hill in Wiltshire that a giant was coming with
his apron full of earth ( or in other accounts a large shovel full of earth)
to bury the town of Devizes. The townsmen got together to discuss how they
could stop the giant and save the town. They came up with the following
idea.  An old cobbler put on a pair of old worn leather shoes, slung a bag
of old worn shoes across his back and set out to meet the giant. Some miles
out of town the giant and the old man met. The giant asked the cobbler how
far it was to Devizes and the old man replied. " Let me see. I was a young
man when I started out from Devizes with a bag of new shoes to sell. I have
been walking ever since and I have worn all these shoes out!" The giant was
so disgusted at how far he still had to travel that he dumped the apron /
shovel full of earth by the side of the road and returned home. And that is
how Silbury Hill, the largest man made mound in Europe came into being"

Near Rhosneigr on Anglesey is Barclodiad yr Gawres - a neolithic round
chambered tomb - the name means apronful of the giantess !

I have heard stories similar to the Silbury Hill one told in conjunction
with other places and other similar landmarks.

Busy people these giants! Is the common source Celtic literature?

best wishes
Heather
Worcester UK