LL-L "Etymology" 2009.09.17 (02) [EN-NL]

Thu Sep 17 17:10:07 UTC 2009

L O W L A N D S - L - 17 September 2009 - Volume 02
lowlands at lowlands-l.net - http://lowlands-l.net/

From: Sandy Fleming <sandy at fleimin.demon.co.uk>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2009.09.17 (01) [NL]

> From: wim <wkv at home.nl>
> Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2009.09.16 (01) [EN-NL]
>
> From wkv at home.nl
>
> Etymology
>
> Hoi,
>
> En het nederlands kent het woord “ bink”   voor  “macho guy”

In Scots it means "bench" and a "whistlebinkie" is a wallflower, ie
someone who sits on the bench at the wall whistling to himself instead
of joining in the party.

Sandy Fleming
http://scotstext.org/

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Etymology

Folks,

Apparently, Dutch *bink* "(macho) guy" comes from Bargoens, the Dutch-based
equivalent of German-based Rotwelsch, Polish-based Grypsera, Russian-based
Fenya (Феня), and English-based Polari and various travelers' cants. Most
sources claim that the specific origin of *bink* is Romany. Since the
Netherlands and Belgium belong to the European region in which both Rom and
Sinte live, I am not sure if the word is (Romany-)Romany or Sinti(-Romany).

I believe a promising candidate is European Romany *beng* 'devil'.

Seattle, USA
... who does seem to have N1N1 ("swine") flu ...