LL-L "Resources" 2009.09.25 (01) [EN]

Fri Sep 25 19:00:12 UTC 2009

L O W L A N D S - L - 25 September 2009 - Volume 01
lowlands at lowlands-l.net - http://lowlands-l.net/

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Resources

Dear Lowlanders,

Thanks to an announcement by our Lee Goldberg to his Yiddish studies circle
(to which I am subscribed), I've been made aware of a wonderful resource
that all of us can enjoy and ought to support:

The International Children's Digital Library
http://en.childrenslibrary.org/

It contains facsimile copies of children's books whose copyright protection
has run out. So there is an historical angle to this, which, in my opinion,
makes the resource even more valuable, at least from an adult perspective.
In some cases this takes us back to a time when children's books in a given
language (such as Yiddish) were still published in good numbers, as opposed
to more recent times. And for us language enthusiasts, students and
researchers this is a true feast, considering that there are books in
numerous languages.

Derfar a dank aykh, tayerer khaver Leybl.

When you reach the front page of the site (http://en.childrenslibrary.org/),
click on the button labeled "Read Books!" Then make your choices, including
language choices, and see what comes up. Happily, some books are
translations, and some come in bilingual forms (e.g., Quechua/Spanish and
Maori/English). This makes for language learning convenience, especially
where languages are "rare" and teaching material for them is hard to come
by.

And of course there is the purpose of giving today's children access to such
material

Yes, there are many books and languages there already. But the Library could
do with many more, as you can see. For instance, there is only one book in
Afrikaans so far, and none in Low Saxon (Low German), Scots, Limburgish and
Tok Pisin. Therefore I suggest that we all make an effort to support this
project. Please find out here what you can do:
http://en.childrenslibrary.org/contribute/index.shtml

Seattle, USA

... who's back down with a flu relapse ... hopefully being coherent here
despite the medication.