LL-L "Language politics" 2010.04.06 (01) [DE-EN]

Tue Apr 6 15:09:15 UTC 2010

*L O W L A N D S - L - 06 April 2010 - Volume 01*
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Paul Finlow-Bates <wolf_thunder51 at yahoo.co.uk>

Subject: LL-L "Language politics" 2010.04.05 (05) [EN]

I've got modern books on German that use Werfall etc, alongside the
Nominative, Accusative and such.

I agree with your friend, it does explain what the cases are doing rather
better than the Latin words.  I didn't even know it was a Nazi thing.

Paul

Derby

England

----------

From: DAVID COWLEY <DavidCowley at anglesey.gov.uk>

Very interesting Marlou.

I understand your friend found the alternative grammar terms helpful
for understanding; this is surely a strong argument for using some of
them. Not Nazi ideology of course, but if non-Latin terms are clearer,
it seems very sad to think they have been tainted just because the Nazis
used and promoted them. Motorways, rockets and jet engines were all
things promoted by the Nazis, but it would of course be outrageous to
suggest that they're bad because of that (they do of course cause
climate change).

My efforts to promote use of a less Latinised English and the updating
and use of some words from Old English sometimes bring comments like
'the Nazis tried that kind of thing' and it really hurts to think that
maybe there is some kind of point there: Potentially, a group of fanatic
racists could use this kind of idea with any of the world's  languages.
But if promoted for use by all, the idea can bring some positive
benefits for understanding. And, unlike motorways, rockets and jets, not
help cause climate change!

Best wishes
David