LL-L "Language varieties" 2010.04.17 (02) [EN]

Sat Apr 17 23:29:17 UTC 2010

L O W L A N D S - L - 17 April 2010 - Volume 02
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Sandy Fleming <sandy at fleimin.demon.co.uk>

Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2010.04.16 (01) [EN]

> From: Paul Finlow-Bates <wolf_thunder51 at yahoo.co.uk>
> Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2010.04.15 (02) [DE-EN]

> That sounds very possible to me.  Sandy or somebody might be able to
> tell us if the come/keam shift is possible in Scots?

I would say not. Come/comer/comin/cam are the verb forms.

If one must force it into Scots, all I can think of is "kimmer" which
originally meant "godmother" but later came to mean "gossip".

It went on to be used as an off-hand way of referring to a woman.

I don't see this shifting to "Keamer", however.

I don't think the time-frame involved in the original enquiry would
allow the possibility of it being anything you would want to give as a
name your children, either.

So I suggest, again, that it's a place-name, surname or something from
outside.

Sandy Fleming
http://scotstext.org/

----------

From: Heiko Evermann <heiko.evermann at gmx.de>

Subject: Re: LL-L "Etymology" 2010.04.16 (02) [EN]

>> Well... Spelling aside, to my ears "keam" is the typical American
>> pronunciation of "to come".

> “Typical American pronunciation,” Heiko?! What sort of American English is
> that, and what is the pronunciation of “keam”?

Well, the official British pronunciation is /kʌm/. But when I hear
Americans, especially from the Southern states, I often hear something
slightly different. The vowel is not a clear /ʌ/. There is something
else between the k and the /ʌ/. At least to my ears. It sounds like
/kəʌm/. Never heard that?

Heiko

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Etymology

Thanks, Heiko.

I’m not familiar with such a pronunciation in North American English ...
which doesn’t necessarily mean that you are mistaken.

listserv at listserv.linguistlist.org or lowlands.list at gmail.com