LL-L "Etymology" 2010.04.20 (02) [EN]

Tue Apr 20 21:26:38 UTC 2010

L O W L A N D S - L - 20 April 2010 - Volume 02
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Roger Hondshoven <rhondshoven at yahoo.com>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2010.04.20 (01) [EN]

Hello Henno,

In connection with nouns and  verbs having undergone  umlaut, you wrote:

---So ke:ma < *kemba < Old Germanic *kambian, probably. It's a very typical
word, combining the old lengthening before mb, with the palatalisation of
the vowel (e> ie) and breaking. Dutch has "kammen", so no lengthening or
Umlaut-relic. German has "kämmen", so umlauted, as in Frisian. I'd expect
similar forms in Low Saxon varieties. Probably Dutch also had umlauted
forms, but many of those alternations where later equalized by analogy: the
noun is "kam", so the verb "should" be "kammen", not expected "kemmen". Of
course relics also exist in Dutch ("omhelzen" (to embrace) next to "hals"
(neck), "steden" (cities) as plural of "stad", etc), but they are far more
common the more East one goes.

The noun in Frisian has no umlaut, but does have lenghtening: "kaam" (comb),
vs Dutch "kam". Also in "laam" (lamb) we have this, plural has short a:
"lammen". (note that West Frisian lost all -er plurals: we just say "aaien"
etc. In Saterlandic Frisian and North Frisian we still see -er plurals).

In Getelands (South-East Brabant) we have a noun with umlaut for 'lam': *
lemme.* The umlaut  is the result of the addition of the
augmentative-suffix. The original word does noet exist anymore.

Regards,
.

Roger Hondshoven
Diest (East-Brabant) Belgium.