LL-L "History" 2010.04.26 (02) [EN]

Mon Apr 26 17:54:28 UTC 2010

L O W L A N D S - L - 26 April 2010 - Volume 02
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Marcus Buck <list at marcusbuck.org>

Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2010.04.25 (03) [EN]

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>

I wonder if this goes back to the late 19th century with its fascination
with the "Wild West" in Germany and large-scale emigration to the USA from
Northern Germany.

As you mention Northern German immigration to the US, I want to chip in
another question unrelated to etymology. We know, that many immigrants from
whatever nationality tried to settle in regions where people from the same
ethnic group were already present. So did the Plattdeutschers. Grand Island,
Nebraska, and Wausau, Wisconsin, are examples of places that were largely
settled by Plattdeutschers. There are dozens more. Most of the people are of
course assimilated into the English American culture now, but there are
still some people (mostly aged) who are able to speak Low Saxon although
they are fourth or fifth generation immigrants.

But while German Low Saxon immigration is well attested, I have never heard
of Dutch Low Saxon immigration to the US. Are there any places in the US
that were traditionally settled by people from North-Eastern Netherlands?
Did they leave any traces?

Marcus Buck

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>

Subject: History

Marcus,

Not to forget a sizable colony in and around New York, both City and State.
Most of it has been assimilated, but apparently there are still speaker
colonies.

I am under the impression that Netherlands Low Saxon immigration was part of
general “Dutch” immigration. For example, on both sides of the border
between Washington State and British Columbia there are series of mostly
“Dutch”-derived rural communities. Looking at signs and post along the way,
you see not only Hollandish names but also apparently Frisian and Low Saxon
ones (Veenker, Reinders, Hoogeveen, Hovenkamp, etc.) I have found it
difficult to get information about those communities. They seem to be rather
closed.

Seattle, USA

listserv at listserv.linguistlist.org or lowlands.list at gmail.com