LL-L "Etymology" 2010.04.26 (01) [DE-EN-NDS]

Mon Apr 26 17:33:28 UTC 2010

L O W L A N D S - L - 26 April 2010 - Volume 03
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Jonny <jonny.meibohm at arcor.de>

Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2010.04.25 (01) [DE-EN-NDS-NL]

Beste Marcus,

(let's continue in E, because of "the look over the fence" ;-))

you wrote to *"rütentütig":*

Villicht sett sik de Utdruck tohoop ut "rütten" (Grundverb von Wöör so as
"zerrütten" un "rütteln"), "en" (westliche Form von "un") un "tütt" as
3. Person
Singular von "tehn". "Jemand, der an etwas rüttelt und zieht" -> "jemand,
der sich ungebührlich benimmt" -> "Kasper, Hampelmann".
Perhaps originally a marionette? Could fit! Just a rhyming reduplication,
like 'hurly-burly', 'Techtelmechtel', 'Kuddelmuddel' and Kevins
'rootin'-tootin'?!

Wat villicht beter passt: In dat Antwerpsch Idioticon steiht de Indrag "rut"
in, wat en "flauwe kul" is, also "Unsinn". "Tut" is op nedderlandsch en
minnachtig Woord för en Fro. "Ruttentut" kannst denn villicht plattdüütsch
mit "Tüdeltrien" weddergeven. De Etymologie von "rut" un "tut" kenn ik aver
nich.

This also sounds interesting!

Du kannst ja maal be beiden Quellen nömen un ziteern, villicht lett sik denn
ehrder wat seggen.

One is my own daughter (who didn't grow up in my family but has good
contacts to LS ['Stader Geest' und Cuxhaven-Fischhallen]), the other one a
middle-aged lady from Hamburg, the third one an older ex-neighbour who also
had been living in Hamburg. My sources mostly are real people ;-)!

The same holds true for *"atschewiner"* - this time the same lady fom
Hamburg and her new 'Lebensgefährte' (mate), a neighbour of mine and native
LS-speaker. They both mentioned *'atschewiner' *when I asked them for the
verification of *'rütentütig'*, but they had completely different but
Hamburgish sources.

Perhaps I should point out that my native neighbour didn't know *
'rütentütig'* at all.

Allerbest un' bedankt!

Jonny Meibohm

Lower Saxony, Germany