LL-L "Etymology" 2010.04.25 (03) [EN]

Sun Apr 25 22:07:10 UTC 2010

L O W L A N D S - L - 25 April 2010 - Volume 03
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Kevin & Cheryl Caldwell <kevin.caldwell1963 at verizon.net>

Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2010.04.25 (01) [DE-EN-NDS-NL]

I think I missed the beginning of this whole conversation, but I thought I’d
throw this out there:

English has “rootin’-tootin’” with the meaning, “rowdy, wild, uproarious,
boisterous, raucous.”  I remember an old Bugs Bunny cartoon in which
Yosemite Sam describes himself as “the rootin’-tootin’-est, six-shootin’-est
hombre north, south, east, AND west of the Pecos!”

There was also a Gene Autry movie with the title “Rootin’ Tootin’ Rhythm.”

The term almost always seems to be associated with cowboys and the American
West.

Kevin Caldwell

Laurel, MD

From: Jonny <jonny.meibohm at arcor.de>
 Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2010.04.24 (01) [DE]

Beste Lowlanners,

back to my posting about LS *"rütentütig",* Dutch spelling perhaps *
"rutentutig",* Middle Low Saxon possibly *"rytentytig".*

Meanwhile I made some more thoughts about the meaning and have to improve my
translation which was DE 'schwachsinnig'. Now I am convinced the main sense
is DE 'komisch, kauzig, merkwürdig', which would be NL 'koddig'*(Ha! There
it is!),* E 'hilarious, comic, odd'.

My mistake had been caused by the fact that someone told me that her 90
years old mother had senile dementia and for that became "rütentütig".

It's sometimes not very easy to remain correctly in interpretations
concerning etymological facts if one has to build on only a few sources.

Allerbest!

Jonny Meibohm

Lower Saxony, Germany

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>

Subject: Etymology

Congratulations, Kevin! I think you did it.

Of course I was familiar with “rootin’-tootin’”, but I didn’t make the
connection.

I wonder if this goes back to the late 19th century with its fascination
with the "Wild West" in Germany and large-scale emigration to the USA from
Northern Germany.

Seattle, USA

listserv at listserv.linguistlist.org or lowlands.list at gmail.com