LL-L "Etymology" 2010.04.26 (05) [EN]

Tue Apr 27 00:38:33 UTC 2010

L O W L A N D S - L - 26 April 2010 - Volume 05
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Mark Dreyer <mrdreyer at lantic.net>

Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2010.04.25 (03) [EN]

Dear Kevin & Ron:

Subject: LL-L "Etymology"

With regard to "rootin'-tootin'" & possible connections with Dutch "
rutentutig".

Ron, you wonder if this goes back to the German fascination with the Wild
West in 19th Century Germany:

Well, I wonder if it might not be earlier. There is so little reflection on
the fact that the main settlements of North America were started by the
Dutch West India Company, & the foundation of American English was
influenced by American Dutch. Remember these examples, "Knickerbocker",
"Hornswoggle", "Bushwack", "Corral", & "Schooner", among others? Oh, do not
forget Santa Claus "Sint Herklaas". I have a book by J.L. Dillard, 'American
Talk' covering this subject & some of these words in one of the chapters.

By the way, that cartoon character was spouting a ritualised form of
boasting, a less than deadly alternative way of settling your alpha status
in the company of the rivermen of the American interior: Great fun.
One character, so I have read, bragged of settling with any bear he came
across, & jest to play fair, he gives the bar fust bite! (a contribution of
J. Slocum, first lone circumnavigator of the World in a yacht). America,
America...

How's it going, Ron?

Yrs,

Mark.