LL-L "Etymology" 2010.08.05 (02) [EN]

Thu Aug 5 16:14:01 UTC 2010

*L O W L A N D S - L - 05 August 2010 - Volume 02*

Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Paul Finlow-Bates <wolf_thunder51 at yahoo.co.uk>

Subject: LL-L "Orthography" 2010.08.04 (04) [EN]

"Paling" was commonly used for fencing where I grew up in Leicestershire
too.  In fact until this question came up, I didn't think of it as anything
other than a "normal" English word.

Paul

Derby

England

----------

From: heatherrendall at tiscali.co.uk <heatherrendall at tiscali.co.uk>

Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2010.08.04 (05) [EN]

from Heather Rendall heatherrendall at tiscali.co.uk

Sandy wrote:  re the word paling "I suppose the word will be dying out as
that sort of fence is as well."

Not in Sussex, Sandy, where there are still working chestnut coppices soley
grown to make chestnut paling fencing. Whenever I visit my sister I drive
past a large coppice which has coils of paling ready for use stacked by the
entrance.

But I would agree that it is a very regional thing: here in Worcester
layered hedges provide field enclosure and hazel hurdles provide temporary
enclosure,

re Beyond the Pale - I have always understood that it was the Irish Pale
round Dublin that gave rise to the expression. If you lived 'beyond the
Pale' you just were not of the right  society and therefore not acceptable /
receivable in the days of such strict social levels.

best wishes

Heather

Worcester UK

listserv at listserv.linguistlist.org or lowlands.list at gmail.com