LL-L "Orthography" 2010.08.06 (12) [EN]

Sat Aug 7 04:39:31 UTC 2010

*L O W L A N D S - L - 06 August 2010 - Volume 12
*lowlands.list at gmail.com - http://lowlands-l.net/
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Michael Everson <everson at evertype.com>

Subject: LL-L "Orthography" 2010.08.06 (09) [EN]

On 6 Aug 2010, at 23:28, Lowlands-L List wrote:

> The example I gave earlier on, "tnootn" for Dutch "knoken" illustrates
very well the different sound between the two /tn/ clusters, the first one
is the "nasal stop" version and the last one is like "buutn". The tip of the
tongue also shifts towards the back of the front teeth during the
pronunciation of this word, because in the final /tn/ cluster you should
effectively hear a -t-, not so in the initial one.

That's a syllabic n.

> > However, I still argue that the apparent allophone of /t/ in these cases
is really the mentioned “nasal stop”. You can’t say it any other way.

well, the tn- sounds like pre-occlusion to me.

> A hundred years ago, Dutch professor Jacobus van Ginneken might have seen
proof of a Slavic substrate in this phenomenon. He wrote numerous articles
about Slavic relics in Dutch, one of them can be read here:
http://tinyurl.com/3xcbg6q

Hard to imagine Slavic relics in Dutch. Proto-Balto-Slavo-Germanic relics,
maybe.

listserv at listserv.linguistlist.org or lowlands.list at gmail.com
http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/group.php?gid=118916521473498<http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#%21/group.php?gid=118916521473498>