LL-L "Names" 2010.08.08 (02) [EN]

Sun Aug 8 20:01:39 UTC 2010

*L O W L A N D S - L - 08 August 2010 - Volume 02
*lowlands.list at gmail.com - http://lowlands-l.net/
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Mike Morgan <mwmbombay at gmail.com>

Subject: Re: LL-L "Names" 2010.08.07 (01) [EN]

A genealogical question ...

Although of mostly Celtic (Welsh-Scots-Irish) background, my most recently
immigrated ancestor was a Gusler (if memory serves, a Jacob/Jakob) ... who
went over to the US in 1806.

Anyone on the list have any insights as to WHERE in Germany a man with such
a name would have come from ... obviously a place with geese, but more
specifically?

I have never met anyone in the US or elsewhere with this name who is not
directly related, so assume there may not have been lots of goose-herders
immigrating back then ;-)

just curious...

              U C > || Mike Morgan
============================
                     linguist

soon to be @ IGNOU-UCLan (inshallah)

 Applied Sign Linguistics Programme

              New Delhi, India

----------

From: Jonny <jonny.meibohm at arcor.de>

Subject: LL-L "Names" 2010.08.07 (01) [EN]

Beste Anja,

Du schreyvst:

>> "fraam" certainly means "pious".

I don't think so, because (according to Schiller-Lübben as well as to GRIMM)
the meaning 'pius' is not the main relevance of "fraam, vram, vrom, fromm".
I'd like to presume that it basically means "ehrbar" (honourable) at first.

At Schiller-Lübben I even didn't find 'pius' for the Middlesaxon "vram,
vrom(m)".

Allerbest!

Jonny Meibohm

Lower Saxony, Germany

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>

Subject: Names

Indeed! One of the original meanings of Low Saxon *fraam* being ‘honorable’,
‘praiseworthy’ and so forth seems to be preserved in the phrase you gave us,
Anja: *de frame Gott*, namely with reference to God, in which 'pious' does
not apply.

Seattle, USA

listserv at listserv.linguistlist.org or lowlands.list at gmail.com
http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/group.php?gid=118916521473498<http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#%21/group.php?gid=118916521473498>