LL-L "Language varieties" 2010.08.08 (04) [EN]

Sun Aug 8 20:12:47 UTC 2010

*L O W L A N D S - L - 08 August 2010 - Volume 04
*lowlands.list at gmail.com - http://lowlands-l.net/
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Anja Meyfarth <aurinel at spray.se>

Subject: LL-L "Language politics" 2010.08.07 (01) [EN]

Good morning, everybody!

Well, Heiko, it's definitly ßt and sp.

Greetings,

Anja

----------

From: Mike Wintzer <k9mw at yahoo.com>

Greetings!
During my childhood (middle of last century in Mecklenburg) ßl, ßm, ßn, ßp,
ßt...

was wide-spread if not standard, but already then it was considered a sort
of

social-class marker, and consequently nowadays has all but disappeared.

Mike Wintzer

----------

From: M.-L. Lessing <marless at gmx.de>

Dear Anja,

my mother's parents, having moved from the country into Hamburg, brought up
their children not to "ß-tolper", but when a situation gets really dramatic,
my mother still does. So when she says "Fahr vorsichtig, draußen ist
Schneegeschtöber", it is nothing to mention, but when it is "Kind! Willst du
wirklich Auto fahren? Bei dem Schneeges-töber!!!" then the snow ist coming
really fast. (Well, sometimes she is over-cautious :-)) This might be so
with many elderly northern Germans who have been re-educated in their youth
and carry "den s-pitzen S-tein" in a deeper layer.

The other extreme is surely Schwaben, where they not "schtolpern", but even
say things as "ischt" (ist) or "Inschtitution" (Institution). Just listen to
our german finanzminister Schäuble. That's pure "Wir können alles außer
Hochdeutsch". I don't know if or how much they try to suppress that in their
children (I would be sorry if they did, it sounds very funny, but some do --
in Sachsen many people try to get rid of their accent, which is a pity, but
Sächsisch is considered to be quite "un-sexy", that is enough to finish an
accent). Now to me, the Schwäbisch is sweet and funny, while our northern
accent and our S-tolpern is really cool. And if celebrated with enough
confidence (Helmut Schmidt!!!), it has Kult-Potential (Ron, how do I say
that in English?). So your idea, Anja, seems a good one: we might cultivate
it! I will s-tolper more often in future if I can.

Hartlich

Marlou

From: Anja Meyfarth <aurinel at spray.se>tolowlands.list at gmail.com>

Subject: LL-L "Language politics" 2010.08.06 (05) [EN]

Dear Michael, dear Lowlanders,

my mother says "ßt" and "ßp" and my brothers changed from ßt and ßp to schp
and scht. I myself never said ßt and ßp, what's a pity.

Greetings,

Anja