LL-L "Language politics" 2010.08.09 (02) [EN]

Mon Aug 9 17:06:31 UTC 2010

*L O W L A N D S - L - 09 August 2010 - Volume 02*

Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: DAVID COWLEY <DavidCowley at anglesey.gov.uk>

Subject: LL-L "Language politics" 2010.08.06 (03) [EN]

Like - I didn't write that actually - I was arguing that legisalation IS
important ...

DAvid

From: Mike Wintzer <k9mw at yahoo.com>
Subject: LL-L "Language politics" 2010.08.04 (06) [EN]

David, you wrote:

"It is not legislation or the Constitution that nurtures a language"

I beg to differ....**

----------

From: DAVID COWLEY <DavidCowley at anglesey.gov.uk>

Subject: LL-L "Language politics" 2010.08.06 (07) [EN]

Thanks Mark - Yes, Irish does seem to be an example of strong state
support which went awry, though by the time that support came, the
living language had become restricted largely to the poorest parts of
the country, mainly on its western edges. But the Gaeltacht areas might
have been much weaker today had there not been that state support, so
its likely not to have been all in vain.

There are no two linguistic situations the same anywhere - a whole load
of complex variables, bound up with history, culture, economy, geography
and much more. It would be great to think that Low Saxon and North
Friesian could somehow find future stability and live on/ thrive, but
its in their own hands of course ...

David

listserv at listserv.linguistlist.org or lowlands.list at gmail.com
http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/group.php?gid=118916521473498<http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#%21/group.php?gid=118916521473498>