LL-L "Resources" 2010.08.09 (06) [EN]

Mon Aug 9 17:15:35 UTC 2010

*L O W L A N D S - L - 09 August 2010 - Volume 06*

Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Henno Brandsma <hennobrandsma at hetnet.nl>

Subject: LL-L "Resources" 2010.08.08 (03) [EN]

From: Roger Thijs, Euro-Support, Inc. <roger.thijs at euro-support.be>

Subject: LL-L Resources

I got this announcement of a new publication pushed in my maibox. It comes
from amazon UK.

*Studies in West Frisian Grammar* (Linguistik Aktuell/Linguistics Today)
[Hardcover]
*Jarich Hoekstra (Editor), Willem Visser (Editor), Goffe Jensma (Editor) **
*Price: £105.00 & this item Delivered FREE in the UK with Super Saver
Delivery.
This title has not yet been released.
You may pre-order it now and we will deliver it to you when it arrives.
Dispatched from and sold by Amazon.co.uk <http://amazon.co.uk/>. Gift-wrap
available.
Product details
Hardcover: 400 pages
Publisher: *John Benjamins Publishing Company* (15 Aug 2010)
Language English
ISBN-10: 902725544X
ISBN-13: 978-9027255440
Product Description
In this volume, *Germen de Haan* gives a multi-faceted view of the *syntax,
sociolinguistics, and phonology* of West-Frisian. The author discusses
distinct aspects of the syntax of verbs in Frisian: finiteness and Verb
Second, embedded root phenomena, the verbal complex, verbal complementation,
and complementizer agreement. Because Frisian has minority language status
and is of interest to sociolinguists, the author reviews the linguistic
changes in Frisian under the influence of the dominant Dutch language and,
more generally, reflects on how to deal with contact-induced change in
grammar. Finally, in three phonological articles, the author discusses
nasalization in Frisian, the putatively symmetrical vowel inventory of
Frisian, and the variation between schwa + sonorant consonants and syllabic
sonorant consonants.

Regards,

Roger

Thansk, Roger, fpr pointing it out!

Mm, a bit steep, that price. I have done courses in Frisian Linguistics both
with Visser and Hoekstra (the latter is now professor in Frisian at Kiel),

and I have read both their doctoral theses. Probably I will know most of
this material....

But still, it's good that this material (before mostly available in Frisian)
will now be become available to a wider public!

Regards,

Henno

----------

From: Jacqueline Bungenberg de Jong <Dutchmatters at comcast.net>

Subject: LL-L "Resources" 2010.08.08 (06) [EN]

Re Andrys Onsman’s Hunebed story….

Hallo Andrys,

Thanks for the wonderful evocative story. We share memories. I was a bit
older when I visited for the first time – five years of war having robbed me
of an earIier opportunity. The magic of the place was still there however. I
remember sitting with my back against one of those huge boulders and
thinking: how could it be that our forebears who had such direct contact
with the living and the dead world around them, would have let themselves be
robbed or their religion for one that puts people in hell!

Another thing to try, next time in the Netherlands, is to make a pilgrimage
– if you will – along all those enormous churches built by the seafarers all
along our shores and which are now standing empty in the landscape or are
used for all kinds human endeavors. And if you do, do not forget the big
church on the dike in Veere (Z) . Constructed partly for the worship of God,
but mostly in honor of the local bigwigs. It comes completely with a wooden
gutter system that empties into a large cistern behind the church where the
local  wool merchants could wash the fleece of the sheep grazing on the
dike,  prior to selling them in England. Construction started in the 1320th.
 The entire history of the town and the country has left memories in this
building. From greatness to almost ruins and back up again. The joy is that
now it is a concert hall and a museum. It is quite the adventure to play
tourist and walk thru the church while members of the Concertgebouw
Orchestra are rehearsing for “tonight’s concert”. You can find the story of
the church at http://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grote_Kerk_%28Veere%29.

Hartelijke Groeten,

Jacqueline BdJ

Seattle WA