LL-L "Names" 2010.08.09 (07) [EN]

Mon Aug 9 22:51:36 UTC 2010

*L O W L A N D S - L - 09 August 2010 - Volume 07*

Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Tomás Ó Cárthaigh <tomasocarthaigh at yahoo.com>

Subject: LL-L "Names" 2010.08.09

"Gosling" was the surname of a German girl who worked with me in a factory
Leonishe Drachtwerke.

She said that is meant, as in English, young goose, and comes from the time
of Charles V of the Holy Roman Empire who demanded peasents adopt surnames
for tax and church reasons.

Registers went from town to town, and in the Protestant areas to mock the
Empror they chose the silliest names that they could find... such as Gosling
which was also a local word for idiot.

Quite a take, eh?

 *"a person with a good book is never alone... a writer until they've
written one is never at peace"** ***

----------

From: Heiko Evermann <heiko.evermann at gmx.de>

Subject: Re: LL-L "Names" 2010.08.09 (05) [EN]

> under www.verwandt.de there is no person or name recorded as "Gusler"
> or"Gussler" A very common name is "Geisler" Try to figure out, if a name
> like that could be possible.

It might have been "Gassler" or "Gaßler", in that case Gusler would be an
attempt of "phonetically" transcribing this into English.

Heiko

From: Anja Meyfarth <aurinel at spray.se>

Hello all,

I just checked the online-telefonregister of Germany and found "Güßler", the
lady with that surname is living in Talheim near Heilbronn.

Hope that helps a bit.

Greetings,

Anja

listserv at listserv.linguistlist.org or lowlands.list at gmail.com