LL-L "Etymology" 2010.08.10 (02) [EN]

Tue Aug 10 21:48:37 UTC 2010

*L O W L A N D S - L - 10 August 2010 - Volume 02
*lowlands.list at gmail.com - http://lowlands-l.net/
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: heatherrendall at tiscali.co.uk <heatherrendall at tiscali.co.uk>

Subject: LL-L "Names" 2010.08.09 (07) [EN]

new thread

from Heather Rendall heatherrendall at tiscali.co.uk

I was reading a paper by Prof Chris Dyer on the Salt making at Droitwich
here in Worcestershire and he said "The fuel for the evaporation of the
brine included both wood and coal. The wood needed labour for cutting and
splitting and as it was bulky it was kept near the bullary ( the salt pans)
in a vine or vinestall - a stack on a plot of land rented for the purpose."

I have never come across the use of the word 'vine' or even heard of
'vinestall' in connection with a wood pile. Has anyone any idea of the
origins of this word? Is it possibly Germanic? The addition of '-stall'
makes me think that it might not have Norman French origins.

Many thanks

Heather

Worcestershire UK

listserv at listserv.linguistlist.org or lowlands.list at gmail.com