LL-L "Grammar" 2010.08.15 (01) [EN]

Sun Aug 15 16:16:14 UTC 2010

*L O W L A N D S - L - 15 August 2010 - Volume 01
*lowlands.list at gmail.com - http://lowlands-l.net/
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Cliff Smuts <csmuts at xsinet.co.za>

Subject: LL-L "Grammar" 2010.08.14 (02) [EN]

Cliff Smuts csmuts at xsinet.co.za

Subject: Afrikaans connection

Hello Hendrik and LLers

Re the construction"mijn dochters aan het werk op school voor nieuwe
speeltoestellen te bemachtigen".  In Arikaans voor  (Afr. vir) would also
not fit in this construction, no matter what the meaning of the caption is
(supposed to be). If the caption is translated directly/ verbatim in
Afrikaans it woud be something like "my dogters aan't werk op skool vir nuwe
speeltoestele te bemagtig, which does not make sense, as we have an "om"
theat normally goes with "te". Looking at the caption, and considerig the
scooling situation in SA I would think could be following in Afr: "My
dogters aan't werk *om* 'n skool *met *nuwe toestelle te bemagtig" or in
Dutch: My dochters aan het werk om een school met nuwe speeltoestellen te
bemachtigen" - My daughters at work making new playing equipment to empower
a school.' Incidentally that is the only meaning I can see in this
situation. In this case it would mean there are two wrong prepositions in
the Dutch caption

From: Mark Dreyer <mrdreyer at lantic.net>

Beste Henry Pijffers