LL-L "Grammar" 2010.08.15 (05) [AF-EN]

Sun Aug 15 17:28:37 UTC 2010

*L O W L A N D S - L - 15 August 2010 - Volume 05
*lowlands.list at gmail.com - http://lowlands-l.net/
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Hellinckx Luc <luc.hellinckx at gmail.com>

Subject: LL-L "Grammar"

Beste At,

You wrote:

Hendrik van den Draod

skryf dat die titel:

“mijn dochters aan het werk op school voor nieuwe speeltoestellen te
bemachtigen"

foutiewe Nederlands is, maar na Afrikaans lyk.

Ek verstaan Nederlands redelik. Maar ek is onseker van die betekenis van
hierdie sin.

Sou ek die “voor” met “om” vervang, sou ek die hele sin vertaal as:

“my dogters werk in die skool om nuwe speeltoestelle te bemagtig”

Maar sou ek die “voor” behou of met “vir”vervang soos gebruiklik, sou die
sin vir my betekenisloos wees.

In Brabantish this sentence does make sense: My daughters at work in school,
trying to obtain new toys. Brabantish (just like French "pour") never uses
"om" when a certain goal is expressed. Example:

"Het land ligt te nat om te voetballen" (D)

't Land leijt te nat vö te sjot(e)n (B)

In these circumstances, most other Dutch dialects will use "om" though.

I don't know in which dialect Hendrik's phrase was written, so the meaning
could be entirely different. Especially "bemachtigen" could mean something
else. In plain Dutch, the primary meaning of "bemachtigen" is "to obtain",
English "to empower" is a little hard to translate in Dutch. I wouldn't use
"machtigen" because that verb usually means "to authorize"..."versterken" is
better, but it matches more "to strengthen"...something which also applies
to objects.

Kind greetings,

Luc Hellinckx, Halle, Belgium

listserv at listserv.linguistlist.org or lowlands.list at gmail.com