LL-L "Etymology" 2010.08.23 (03) [EN]

Mon Aug 23 19:43:44 UTC 2010

*L O W L A N D S - L - 23 August 2010 - Volume 03
*lowlands.list at gmail.com - http://lowlands-l.net/
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Henry Pijffers <henry.pijffers at gmail.com>

Subject: LL-L Etymology and stuff

Hello LL-Lers,

I was just reading an article
(http://www.hervormdrijssen.nl/schildkerk-historie.html) about the
Schildkerk, the oldest church in my hometown. It contains a reference
to the reformation, which came to Rijssen in 1598 (kinda late). Some
masons from Deventer were contracted to remodel the church, their job
was “dat de kercken so haast enichzins soenlick gesuvert sullen
werden”. I can understand most of that, but am stuck on the word
"soenlick". My first thought was it meant "zoenlijk", as the contrary
of "onverzoeklijk", but that doesn't make sense. If it means
"mogelijk", it makes sense, but then what did
"zoenlijk"/"onverzoenlijk" originally mean?

By the way, when looking up the word on Google, I came across a late
14th century Dutch text. It uses sc- where Dutch currently has sch-,
for example "gescreven" (geschreven), "bescreiden" (beschrijden). I'm
sure the c is pronounced k, because it is used in places where modern
Dutch has k. It also has ch in places where modern Dutch still has ch
or g. So when people call my sk- incorrect again, I'm gonna slap them
with this haha.

Another thing that struck me, is that the inscription of the church
bell is in Saxon:

“1943, wat’nen tied. Oorlog, mooie klokke kwiet.
Riessen 7 eeuw’n stad. 5 joar later fees ‘e had.
Op det fees zin ik geboor’n.
’t Volgend joar hùn’k al in toorn.
‘k Luu biej vuurspood, teeg’nslag.
‘k Galme Gods lof elke dag”.

It seems odd to me, that a church bell from mid 20th century (it was
replaced after WW2, the Germans stole it in 1943) has an inscription
in anything but Dutch or perhaps Latin. Does this occur elsewhere?

cheers,
Henry

listserv at listserv.linguistlist.org or lowlands.list at gmail.com
http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/group.php?gid=118916521473498<http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#%21/group.php?gid=118916521473498>