LL-L "Language development" 2010.08.23 (04) [EN]

Mon Aug 23 22:30:28 UTC 2010

*L O W L A N D S - L - 23 August 2010 - Volume 04
*lowlands.list at gmail.com - http://lowlands-l.net/
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Elsie Zinsser <ezinsser at mweb.co.za>

Subject: LL-L "Language development" 2010.08.23 (02) [EN]

Hi Lowlanders,

Heather, I have seen this repetitive talking, mimicking and pulling faces
being done as part of speech and language early-interventions therapy for
babies with Down Syndrome.

Included are imitation games, teaching baby to echo sounds, playing noisy
peek-a-boo, teaching babies to look at the speaker or objects (such as
balloons or noisy toys), improving hearing skills through music and
listening to repetitive sounds and rhymes, improving touching skills by
playing with balloons against the lips, and developing motor skills by
pulling faces, sticking out or hiding the tongue, and teaching the youngster
to move its lips in different ways.

>>I am sure this will now convince some of you that I must be 'off my
trolley' ( if you weren't convinced before!) but, as I said at the beginning
- it is merely an anecdote - but one that works each and every time I try
it.

Never! Then all caring mothers and grandmothers must be off their trolleys!

Regards,

Elsie Zinsser

listserv at listserv.linguistlist.org or lowlands.list at gmail.com
http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/group.php?gid=118916521473498<http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#%21/group.php?gid=118916521473498>