LL-L "Etymology" 2010.08.23 (05) [EN]

Mon Aug 23 22:33:55 UTC 2010

*L O W L A N D S - L - 23 August 2010 - Volume 05
*lowlands.list at gmail.com - http://lowlands-l.net/
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Hellinckx Luc <luc.hellinckx at gmail.com>

Subject: LL-L "Etymology"

Beste Henry,

 From: Henry Pijffers <henry.pijffers at gmail.com>

Subject: LL-L Etymology and stuff

Hello LL-Lers,

I was just reading an article
(http://www.hervormdrijssen.nl/schildkerk-historie.html) about the
Schildkerk, the oldest church in my hometown. It contains a reference
to the reformation, which came to Rijssen in 1598 (kinda late). Some
masons from Deventer were contracted to remodel the church, their job
was “dat de kercken so haast enichzins soenlick gesuvert sullen
werden”. I can understand most of that, but am stuck on the word
"soenlick". My first thought was it meant "zoenlijk", as the contrary
of "onverzoeklijk", but that doesn't make sense. If it means
"mogelijk", it makes sense, but then what did
"zoenlijk"/"onverzoenlijk" originally mean?

Could it be that the text is just misread? The word "doenlijk" still exists
around here and means "doenbaar", "able to be done" (E). The phrase would
then mean:

"...that the churches would have to be refurbished as soon as possible..."

By the way, an "s" does somewhat resemble a "d" in early Modern Dutch,
because a "d" used to be written as Greek lowercase delta.

Kind greetings,

Luc Hellinckx, Halle, Belgium

----------

From: Heiko Evermann <heiko.evermann at gmx.de>

Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2010.08.23 (03) [EN]

Dear Henry,

> I was just reading an article
> (http://www.hervormdrijssen.nl/schildkerk-historie.html) about the
> Schildkerk, the oldest church in my hometown. It contains a reference
> to the reformation, which came to Rijssen in 1598 (kinda late). Some
> masons from Deventer were contracted to remodel the church, their job
> was “dat de kercken so haast enichzins soenlick gesuvert sullen
> werden”. I can understand most of that, but am stuck on the word
> "soenlick". My first thought was it meant "zoenlijk", as the contrary
> of "onverzoeklijk", but that doesn't make sense. If it means
> "mogelijk", it makes sense, but then what did
> "zoenlijk"/"onverzoenlijk" originally mean?

I have found this page:
http://dbnl.nl/tekst/dirc001lmfd03_01/dirc001lmfd03_01_0017.php
"Dit seit Ysaias: God heeft mi ghesent te 494 prediken een soenlick
iaer494 den Heer ende enen dach sijnre 495 495-511wrake"
where the footnote 494 says "een soenlick iaer: een jaar van verzoening."
and in German  today "in einer versöhnlichen Atmosphäre" means "in a
peaceful way".

So my guess is that soenlick just parallels "enichzins" => "in one
mind". So they went there to get rid of all "Roman stuff", but not
with anger but with care and diligence, totally in peace. And being
protestant myself I think I can understand that somehow, that you want
to "clean" the church of all the "Roman stuff" when reformation
comes...

Heiko Evermann
Hamburg

listserv at listserv.linguistlist.org or lowlands.list at gmail.com