LL-L "Grammar" 2010.12.17 (03) [EN]

Sat Dec 18 04:34:59 UTC 2010

L O W L A N D S - L - 17 December 2010 - Volume 03
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Mike Morgan <mwmbombay at gmail.com>

Subject: LL-L "Grammar" 2010.12.17 (02) [EN]

Pat writes:

,,, but it is unusual even among educated people in the U.S.

Although all young American children are exposed to it:

"Bah bah black sheep, have you any wool?
Yes sir, yes sir, three bags full"

                 mwm || U C > || Mike  (aka Dr Michael W Morgan)
soon @ IGNOU-UCLan New Delhi, India ... Allah, YHWH & Ganesh willing

"I have become my own version of an optimist. If I can't make it through one
door, I'll go through another door - or I'll make a door. Something terrific
will
come no matter how dark the present." (R. Tagore)

----------

From: KarlRein at aol.com

*I have been told several times by non-native speakers of English that in
England one says "Have you ...?" whereas in America one says "Do you have
any ...?"  This is being apparently taught in texts in non-English speaking
countries.  When I point out that percentages of these usages may differ,
and no doubt this is true, they seem surprised.  On both halves of the pond,
both usages are perfectly normal, of course.*

*Karl Reinhardt*

*PS  Oops, I forgot that we (we Americans?) also say "Have you got any...?",
but that is another topic!*

listserv at listserv.linguistlist.org or lowlands.list at gmail.com
http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/group.php?gid=118916521473498<http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#%21/group.php?gid=118916521473498>