LL-L "Language survival" 2010.12.17 (04) [EN]

Sat Dec 18 04:37:04 UTC 2010

L O W L A N D S - L - 17 December 2010 - Volume 04
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Mike Morgan <mwmbombay at gmail.com>

Subject: LL-L "Language survival" 2010.12.17 (01) [EN]

Sandy wrote:

That's just an excuse.

I totally agree. And, in my experience, where there is a will there is
(usually) a way.

For example, papers from a conference on language contact held last year at
the Alliance ethio-française in Addis Ababa are about to go online. About
40% of the papers delivered at the conference were in French, and the
remaining 60% in English. I assume for the published papers the percentages
would have been the same, except in fact ALL the papers will be published in
English AND French.

I seriously doubt there is a real NEED for the papers to be in both
languages, as the folks I know who work in contact linguistics could
probably handle either quite sufficiently. However, it is not a question of
need, it is a question of will, and the French government wills (i.,e.
requires, since all this has been sponsored and funded by the French
government) that all papers be published in French... and the "ALSO in
English" part is, strictly speaking, good will on their part.

Now, of course, the process is not perfect (for example, I have never been
shown the French version of my paper to check, nor in fact asked if I would
prefer to produce it myself). And, since I KNOW the English-French
translator is not an expert on Ethiopian Sign Language contact phenomena
(since in this case I know who the translator is), I am sure that not all
the nuances of my paper will get through correctly in the French version.
But, c'est la vie! Sometimes a less than perfect world is still okay.

Now, I am aware that not every language has a force as formidable as French
law on its side, but still, that is a problem of will... and then finding a
way. For example, tshiVenda, maybe the 2nd smallest of the 11 official
languages of South Africa, still has a fair amount of material translated
into it, material available in other languages like English and Afrikaans
that presumably would "suffice", and the translation is done because it is
WILLED by the constitution and legal framework of the *Riphabuliki ya
Afurika Tshipembe*.

Anyway, getting back to the papers to be publsihed in French, it is also not
perfect because, personally, I would prefer my paper to be published in
ANOTHER of the languages of the Republique Française, to wit, Langue de
Signes Française (my paper is, after all, about sign languages)... and maybe
also Gascon béarnais! But the will of the French Republic is not there
yet.... so much for égalité and fraternité!

Just one last word: I consider it a shame that in fact, us linguists, are as
bad as the next fellow; most linguistics journals REQUIRE that all articles
submitted be in one or another specific language (or small subset of
languages). Surely, a LINGUISTICS journal worth its salt should be able to
find reviewers qualified to review an article written in ANY language.
(though of course I am biased in my belief that part of being a linguist IS
knowing languageS ;-)

                mwm || U C > || Mike  (aka Dr Michael W Morgan)
soon @ IGNOU-UCLan New Delhi, India ... Allah, YHWH & Ganesh willing

"I have become my own version of an optimist. If I can't make it through one
door, I'll go through another door - or I'll make a door. Something terrific
will
come no matter how dark the present." (R. Tagore)

listserv at listserv.linguistlist.org or lowlands.list at gmail.com
http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/group.php?gid=118916521473498<http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#%21/group.php?gid=118916521473498>