LL-L "Resources" 2010.12.27 (04) [EN]

Tue Dec 28 00:26:09 UTC 2010

L O W L A N D S - L - 27 December 2010 - Volume 03
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Michael Everson <everson at evertype.com>

Subject: LL-L "Resources" 2010.12.26 (01) [EN]

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>

> Also, planned to be published by that time is a book (of more than one
volume) that discusses as many of the Alice translations as possible. At
this very point in time, it includes 97 languages of which many have more
than one translation each.

It has not been decided yet, but I hope to typeset and publish the volumes.

> This is not to say that further Low Saxon translations are not welcome
(such as Mecklenburgish, Pomeranian, Westphalian, Eastphalian, Eastern
Friesland LS, Groningen LS, Stellingwerven LS, Drenthe LS, Twente LS,
Mennonite LS [Plautdietsch] ...).

Yum.

> Also, outside of the Lowlands, translations into Yiddish and Ladino are
badly needed. (Unfortunately, my proficiency in both, although good, is not
quite native enough for the job.)

Well, you can't force a translation.

> By now you probably got my drift, which is an encouragement for you and
your friends to consider tackling translations of Alice into further
language varieties, Lowlands ones and otherwise. I happen to know that our
Michael Everson has at least two further Lowlands language translations
coming up: (Mainland) Scots, and Ulster Scots (Ullans). I feel very excited
about them.

As am I. Both will appear in 2011. Also to appear in 2011 are "Alicia in
Terra Mirabili" (Latin), "Ventürs jiela Lälid in Stunalän" (Volapük), "Los
Aventuros de Alis in Marvoland" (Neo), and Alices Hændelser i
Vidunderlandet" (re-edition of the 1875 translation "Maries Hændelser i
Vidunderlandet").

> If you are interested and have questions, please contact our own Lowlander
Michael Everson (everson at evertype.com). Michael turned out to be a highly
appreciative editor and publisher and at the same time exacting one.

One does one's best.

> He’s as close to a multilingual dream publisher as you can imagine. Don’t
even think about pulling the linguistic wool over his eyes!

Heh.

> > Michael, can something be done about it?
>
> Low German is not on Amazon's popup list but I can say that the book is in
German.

> How about working “Low German”, “Low Saxon”, Plattdüütsch etc. into the
metadata so the Amazon ants know what to do?

Ants?

The book description has the relevant terms in both Low German and English.

>>> I listed all links here: http://lowlands-l.net/gallery/hahn_alice.php
>>
>> Some of those are not to Evertype editions (of the French and German)
which are certainly available on all Amazons.

> I know, Michael. They are simply place holders. I’ve been having a hard
time finding your editions at the various branches. (Help?)

All you need is one URL with the ISBN:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/190480862X/evertype-20
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/190480862X/evertype-20
http://www.amazon.jp/exec/obidos/ASIN/190480862X/evertype-20
http://www.amazon.ca/exec/obidos/ASIN/190480862X/evertype-20
http://www.amazon.fr/exec/obidos/ASIN/190480862X/evertype-20
http://www.amazon.de/exec/obidos/ASIN/190480862X/evertype-20

And if there are others. The only difference is in the WWW part of the URL

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>

Subject: Resources

Thanks, Michael. I’ll work on it, also have at least one more marketing idea
(to be discussed later).

Wouldn’t it be cool if it were you who publishes the commemorative volumes?
Who else? Really ...

I look forward to working with you again sometime.

Folks, another thing:
I assume that translations are expected to be based on the original English
version rather than on a translation.

Thanks and regards,
Reinhard/Ron
Seattle, USA