LL-L "Travels" 2010.12.28 (01) [EN]

Tue Dec 28 22:04:04 UTC 2010

L O W L A N D S - L - 28 December 2010 - Volume 01
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Roger Thijs, Euro-Support, Inc. <roger.thijs at euro-support.be>

Subject: LL-L "Travels"

I see the subject "travels" is hardly touched in the list recently I'm in
the Mid-Atlantic in the second week of January, and I appreciate all
suggestions, especially for Sunday January 9 and Monday January 10, since I
have a lot of unplanned time these two days. I rented a car for the stay.

My agenda for that week: January 8 – January 14
Stay:  Doubletree at the Concord Pike, Wilmington DE
Flights: BRU-PHL-BRU US751 Jan 8 / US750 Jan 14/15
Jan 10 Delaware State Chamber of Commerce dinner, *Wilmigton
Riverfront*(evening event)

Jan 11 Payroll Law Seminar, Holiday Inn, *Edison*, NJ
Jan 12 Employment Law Seminar, Comfort Inn Linthicum, *Baltimore*, MD
Jan 12 (Apics event) Inventory Management, Charlie Brown's Steakhouse, *
Woodbury* NJ (evening event)
Jan 13 Qualitative Research, Temple University, *Philadelphia**
*Jan 13 New Castle County Chamber of Commerce Network at Night, *New
Castle*DE (evening event)
Jan 14 Qualitative Research (cont.), Temple University, *Philadelphia*

Some comments.

Before 2005 I used to stay in a hotel downtown Wimington, but the city
center is dead in week-ends (and most evenings as well). They tried to turn
Market Street back into a cosy shopping street, made it traffic free, but
the project faled and Market Street is open for traffic again. The Corcord
Pike is in the North of Wilmington, almost in Pennsylvania, and it has a lot
of shopping centers. Delaware has no sales tax and so it is a heaven for
Pennsylvanians from over the border. There is a Barnes-and-Noble in the
Concord area but I cannot resist visiting the "9th Street bookshop" (
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=35307052877) downtown. They have a lot
of historical literature about the presence of the Dutch and the Swedes in
the area. Unfortunately they are not open on Sunday.

Some literature:

- C.A. Weslager, The Swedes and Dutch at New Castle, 1987, Bart Pu Co,
[actually deals with the area from Burlington Island in the North till *
Hoerekill* close to Lewes at Cape *Henlopen* in the South of Delaware]; 240
pp.

- Dennis Bribelll Fradin, The Delaware Colony, 1992, Childrens Press, An
illustrated easy reader, 160 pp.,

- Ellen Rendle, The Ghosts of Market Street; Merchants of Yesteryear, 1998,
Cedar Tree Books, It is about all the shops and small businesses that left
downtown Wilmington.

Thanks for all suggestions,

Regards,

Roger