LL-L "Resources" 2010.12.29 (04) [EN]

Wed Dec 29 23:00:58 UTC 2010

L O W L A N D S - L - 29 December 2010 - Volume 04
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Michael Everson <everson at evertype.com>

Subject: LL-L "Resources" 2010.12.29 (02) [EN]

> From: Andy (scots-Online) <andy at scots-online.org>
>

>> Ron wrote:
>> I happen to know that our Michael Everson has at least two further
Lowlands language translations coming up: (Mainland) Scots, and Ulster Scots
(Ullans). I feel very excited about them.

> Those are both the same ‘language’. The linguist James Milroy commented
“It must be emphasised that in their strongest rural forms these dialects
are Lowland Scots dialects. Those of Antrim and North Derry are barely
distinguishable from Ayrshire dialects.” (1982: 27)

Yep. This is well-known. Nevertheless, the authorities in Ulster support a
particular variety with a particular orthography.

> Of course the translations will likely differ from each other in choice of
vocabulary and orthography.

And they do indeed.

> That would generally hold true for further translations in any variety of
Scots.

I'd love one in Shetlandic though.

listserv at listserv.linguistlist.org or lowlands.list at gmail.com
http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/group.php?gid=118916521473498<http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#%21/group.php?gid=118916521473498>