LL-L "Delectables" 2010.02.01 (03) [EN]

Mon Feb 1 16:20:02 UTC 2010

L O W L A N D S - L - 01 February 2010 - Volume 03

From: Paul Finlow-Bates <wolf_thunder51 at yahoo.co.uk>
Subject: LL-L "Delectables" 2010.01.31 (02) [EN]

From: R. F. Hahn
<sassisch at yahoo.com<http://uk.mc264.mail.yahoo.com/mc/compose?to=sassisch@yahoo.com>

Subject: Delectables

Dear Lowlanders,

Just in case any of you do not already know this, please let me explain that
what our British friends call "chips" (or "chippies") are what in North
America are called "(French) fries"...

Seattle, USA

Just to clarify a little further, "chips" are French fries; a "chippie" is a
place that sells them!  Though I remember as kid reading the Scottish comic
books "The Broons" and "Oor Wullie", which emanated from Dundee I believe,
that they used the term "chipper" for the place (or "chupper" in the
simulated accent of the comics).

The dry crunchy things in packets that Americans call "potato chips" are
called "crisps" in England, and I guess in Scotland too.  In Australia
"chip" can apply to either - presumably you have to guess from context!

Paul

From: Tom Mc Rae <thomas.mcrae at bigpond.com>

I still chuckle at the chip shop i none of those English Home County
towns.Sign stated "Mary, Fish Fryer of distinction". She had to have been
English.